Smith & Kernke Funeral Directors
14624 N. May Ave.
1401 Northwest 23rd Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73106
The following checklist is designed to help you file for your Social Security benefits correctly so that prompt payments may be made.
The deceased worker must have credit for work covered by Social Security, ranging from 1 ˝ to 10 years depending on his or her age at death.
Who Is Eligible For Monthly Benefits?
* A widow or widower – full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
* A disabled widow or widower – as early as age 50
* A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased’s child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits
* Unmarried children under 18, or up to age 19 if they are attending high school full time. Under certain circumstances, benefits can be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren, or adopted children.
* Children at any age who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.
* Dependent parents age 62 or older
* Divorced widow or widower age 60 or older (or age 50 if disabled) if marriage lasted 10 years or longer
Applying For Benefits
You must apply in order to receive benefits. You may apply at any Social Security office, or if you wish, you may apply by telephone. Just dial the toll-free number 1-800-772-1213, if you are deaf or hard of hearing call, call the toll-free “TTY” number 1-800-325-0778.
If you apply, please be ready to supply the information needed to approve the application for these benefits:
* Lump Sum Death Payment
* Widow’s, Widower’s, or Surviving Divorced Spouse
* Mother’s or Father’s
If you need more information, go to the Social Security website: www.ssa.gov.